What's more important, the way a website looks, or the way it works and behaves?
To the vast majority of commercial web designers, their answer is very definitely "the way it looks". They are web designers, they design.
However, to us, and to the developers of the world's most successful websites, the focus is very definitely on the way it works and behaves.
If you are retailing your products on your website, hopefully you know all about Google's free product search engine, Google Base. But did you know that the Bing search engine has a similar feature called "Ciao"?
The next seminar in the OpenGlobal series of FREE seminars will be on Thursday 8th of September at the Gloucester Guildhall covering the topic of Selling on the Internet.
The seminar is aimed both at companies who do not currently sell on the internet, and those who are already selling on the internet but want to see better results.
The title of this article may sound like a broad sweeping generalisation (and to some extent it is), but to explain it fully, and to justify it, I need to explain in more detail exactly what I mean by "paying to advertise".
Since the start of the Industrial Revolution, technology has enabled business to work more effectively and more efficiently. And with the internet, the technology has created a huge change in the way businesses can advertise and market themselves to bring more cost effective results.
However, the vast majority of companies are still using 20th century advertising philosophies when they really don't need to.
Read on to see what I mean.
Voucher code websites are very popular these days with lots of new ones springing up all the time. However, there are a handful of really successful ones that are sending hundreds of millions of pounds worth of sales to their advertisers. These types of websites simply list discount codes that people can use when buying products online to get discounts on their orders.
So how do you get listed on these websites so that you can start receiving visitors (and hopefully sales) from them?
- Free Seminar: Dominate the Search Engines
- Don't use CC to send a newsletter
- Mobile websites
- Free Seminar: From Social NOTworking to Social NETworking
- Use Facebook Business Pages, not Business Profiles
- Publish your Google Base feed to TheFind
- The difference between SEO and Google AdWords
- Are the new laws regarding cookies anything to worry about?
- Advertising laws will apply to the internet from March 1st 2011
- Microsoft have released Internet Explorer 9
- Free Seminar: Explosive Website Promotion
- Oh dear, the police got robbed!
- Founder of Facebook gets hacked
- OpenGlobal Disable Checkout for Joomla
- Free OpenGlobal Ovi / Nokia App
- Get your products on Google Base
- Online sales reach 10.5% of UK retail sales total
- Should you get a .co domain name?
- A brief introduction to affiliate schemes
- How does Google Instant Preview change SEO?
- Integrate Actinic with WebGains
- Brand Bidding on Google AdWords
- How to increase your inbound links
- On and Off Page SEO
- Does Google Instant mean the end of SEO?
- Social Networking tips
- There's no magic bullet
- Google Analytics Page Overlay
- Social Networking Basics
- Real time search
- Visitor Analysis and Google Analytics
- Search feature for usability
- Google PageRank
- Don't use auto responders
- OpenGlobal Referral Scheme
- Turn visitors into customers with good usability
- SEO is not a crime
- 84% of websites may not be legally compliant
- Choosing your Keywords
- Microformats, RDFa and the semantic web